Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Tide Pooling...Our Newest Hobby!

Tide pools (also tidal pools or rock pools) are rocky pools by oceans that are filled with seawater. Tide pools can either be small and shallow or large and deep. The small ones are usually found far back on the shore and the large ones are found nearer to the ocean. Tide pools are formed as a high tide comes in over a rocky shore. Water fills depressions in the ground, which turn into isolated pools as the tide retreats. This process, repeated twice a day, replenishes the seawater in what otherwise might be a stagnant pool.

Our first experience with a tide pool was months ago down near Santa Cruz. Daniel and I had hiked out over these rocks to a jetty-like thing that went way out into the water. On the way we came across this good size pool of water that was like 6 inches deep and decided to walk around in it and play. We were so surprised to find all kinds of creatures in there! Star fish and sea anemone's mostly.

Daniel did some research and found out that there are tons of cool tide pools out near Point Reyes, so we talked our Sunday school class of young married couples into taking a day trip out there.

The beach was beautiful!



Making our way to the tide pools...

These are the fattest starfish I have ever seen!


Colorful sea anemones. I accidently stepped on one (because they are everywhere!) and it sucked my foot in! It was so gross!!

Here's our tide pooling crew!





3 comments:

Shannon said...

Okay, so I know it isn't right to be envious of others, but holy cow I am jealous of all the pretty places you are getting to see! It's a lot different than the Abilene State Park (that is the only pretty part of Abilene I can think of!!).

I love California (a lot of my extended family actually live in the Bay area) and am so enjoying your pictures!!

jb said...

This is too cool. I can't wait to come and visit you guys and go "pooling."

mamalindak said...

Hey guys! I'm missing you and don't have a current email - please let me know how to write to you. kemp.linda@gmail.com