It was last Tuesday afternoon (over a week ago) downtown at Centennial Plaza. The former President Bush (we'll just call him George for fun) and Laura and their daughter Barbara flew straight from Washington DC right into Midland! George wanted to see the crowd that had gathered from the air, so they flew right over us (really low) in the old Air Force One plane! It was awesome!
No event in Texas is complete without police on horseback...

They handed out Texas flags and big cardboard W's at the gates...

One of the buildings downtown showing their support...

Snipers on the rooftop. i've never seen that before!

The presenting of the colors. The guy in the black and turquoise jacket with his back to the camera is Lee Greenwood. Yes, he sang "God Bless the USA" and yes, there were tears. That song makes me realize how deserving of our respect and gratitude (and our support) the members of our military are. I am so grateful for their sacrifice.

And finally, Mr. Bush arrived! Mom and I were beside ourselves we were so excited. His speech was really funny and entertaining, but also had its serious moments. The most memorable thing he said in my opinion went something like this, "I may not be the most popular president and people may disagree with decisions that I made, but one thing is certain: In the last 7 years of my presidency we were not attacked on American soil, not once." Those weren't his exact words, but that was close. I respect and admire Mr. Bush so much and I felt very priviledged to be able to see him speak in person.
So overall, in my opinion, it was well worth 3 hours of standing and waiting with 30,000 other people!

1 comment:
Hey Girlie! I'm so glad that we can stay in touch through blogging. Your family means the world to us and we are so going to miss you! We look forward to all the amazing things God has in store for you and for His kindgdom! Blessings to the three of you!
Post a Comment